Thursday, March 6, 2008

Texan Day

One of the first things we learned when we moved to Houston, Texas was that Houstonians are "proud to be a Texan!" As we introduced ourselves to neighbors shortly after arriving, one fellow said, "Welcome Home." I laughed at that comment. But they really love Texas...specifically Houston. Then Brandon became a Preschooler and we were introduced to 'Go Texan Day.' They dressed as cowboys for one of the days during the WEEK long celebration. This meant I just HAD to buy a cowboy hat, sherriff's badget, and bandana. I don't think I'll succomb to purchasing boots though. Now I've learned there's not only a Texas pledge but a Texas Song too. The pledge follows the American pledge of allegiance every day at school. This means my children may just naturally finish the pledge of allegiance and then continue with, "I pledge allegiance to Thee, Texas..." Last week and the next few weeks is the annual Houston, Texas Rodeo. We didn't go last year and I don't think we'll make it this spring either. However, I'm drawn to it because it seems to be part of being a Texan...eating briskit and going to a rodeo. Understand that I grew up down the street from the Nyssa Nite Rodeo grounds and it was pathetic to say the least. Last time I checked, the locals use it for Sundays during the summer to stand around and drink while watching people ride their horses. Because of this ridiculous exposure to the rodeo, I feel a pull to experience a true Texan rodeo. We may just get to the rodeo, yet. Am I proud to be a Texan? Let's just say I'm workin' on it y'all.

1 comment:

Rhett said...

Diane--
Good to finally have someone participating. I'm glad you are enjoying Texas. There are a lot of people that I work with from outside of New Mexico that just complain about it. We really enjoy New Mexico when we get out and see it. We're doing some family trips this year to see more of the state. Just waiting for the weather to warm up a little.